Magformers is the winner of the 2016 Educational Product of the Year. It is especially popular with parents, because:
- It is the original of its kind (with rotating magnets) and all pieces are compatible with one another,
- of its continuous innovation. New pieces and components are continuously researched and developed, to help with children’s brain development (see in more detail below),
- of the high quality materials used,
- all Magformers products are safety tested to Australian (and international) safety standards.
Magformers products are loved by children, parents and teachers alike. Children are always learning various skills and concepts while they are having fun putting the pieces together!
Mathematical principles that may otherwise be difficult to understand, even by older students, are easily grasped by children, simply by experimenting with the pieces, and putting different combinations of geometric shapes together, in 2D or 3D patterns.
Both parents and childhood educators have given us first hand feedback as to the surprisingly high level of engagement for lengthy periods of time children remain engaged and stimulated with Magformers.
Magformers has also been praised as one of the top STEM toys around.
“It is no longer enough to simply use technology, we need to create a generation involved in building their own technology futures, …Magformers are an excellent way to build important spatial skills to help prepare our next generation of STEM leaders.” – Dr. Jenine Beekhuyzen, founder of the Tech Girls Movement.
Children need to develop spatial awareness, rotation, mathematical thinking, scientific thinking, imagination, logical reasoning and problem solving skills to be able to create, innovate and advance the technology of tomorrow.
“Being a pilot and designer requires great skill in spatial orientation, including being able to imagine how things look and to rotate shapes and designs around in your mind. Playing with objects like Magformers from a young age will teach these skills in a fun way!” – Shane Thompson, a commercial pilot and designer of the ‘Cord Roll’.
How Magformers will help your child’s brain development, by allowing them to use, develop and improve (at least) eight essential forms of intelligence, intellect and skill:
1. Modelling: Magformers will develop your child’s modelling skills by allowing them to create an unlimited number of models, designs and figures using magnetic shapes that come in bright vivid colours.
- As these models are built by hand, Magformers also assists your child’s development of fine motor skills, hand-eye coordination and cognitive reasoning!
- These are all real-world skills that will help your child in the future, in whatever field they become interested in later in life!
- Architect? Scientist? Mathematician? Engineer? The skills developed through play with Magformers will benefit any later calling where deductive, rational reasoning and logic will help them to succeed!
- Imagine the feeling you will get, knowing that your decision to purchase Magformers helped them to develop these essential skills!
2. Creativity: Magformers will enhance your child’s intelligence and creativity through his or her design and configuration of 3D shapes and models.
- This is done by providing your child with the physical tools (attractive shapes, colours and other accessories) that allow your child to be creative, imaginative, inspired, artistic, inventive and resourceful, without even realising that they are learning at the same time! Lucky them!
3. Scientific Thinking: Magformers will teach your child about:
- The principles of magnetism.
- The principles behind the three dimensional world.
- They will discover how to turn planar 2D designs into 3D shapes, using one or more of the six ways to build with Magformers (“Combine”, “Fold”, “Pull Up”, “Roll”, “Transform”, “Wall”)
- Spatial thinking – Spatial thinking is “seeing in the mind’s eye”. Children will learn to picture the location of objects, their shapes and the relation to each other and the paths they take as they move about. They will also learn about mental rotation, which is the process by which one imagines what something would look like as the vantage point changes. Spatial thinking is crucial to solving problems big and small.
4. Mathematical Thinking: Magformers will develop your child’s mathematical thinking by allowing them to better understand and utilise concepts of geometric shapes and space.
- For example, they will learn how six 2D squares can become a 3D cube!
- You can combine your teaching of mathematical concepts with your teaching of the scientific concepts and the six ‘ways to use Magformers’ to create the 3D cube in a variety of exciting and attractive colours.
- Your child will have hours of fun without even realising that they are learning these real-world concepts, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and patterns!
5. Curiosity: Magformers will effectively stimulate your child’s curiosity by providing satisfaction through creative play.
- Your child will start to recognise shapes in the real world and will develop a sense of curiosity regarding how those real structures can be constructed using Magformers!
- Your child might even build their own creations and then begin to recognise their own shapes in real world structures, buildings, designs and shapes!
- Your child will also develop a genuine curiosity as to how 2D patterns can become 3D models. They will gradually move from the simple ‘2D squares → 3D cube’ to more complex 2D → 3D structures.
- The best part is that their own curiosity, and the fun they will have finding solutions to that curiosity, will be the only motivation they need to learn more…without even realising that they are learning and developing all of these skills!
6. Reasoning: Magformers will improve your child’s reasoning skills through the process of assembling planar figures into 3D shapes.
- In other words, they will need to use and develop their reasoning skills in order to satisfy themselves as to how the examples listed in the curiosity can be resolved in their own young minds. This is true brain development!
- All the while, they will be visually stimulated by the vibrant colours and unique shapes, and will have hours of fun developing these skills!
7. Imagination: Magformers will foster the infinite imagination of your child while they make 2D geometric shapes and unique 3D structures and models of their own choosing by connecting and assembling the colourful and attractive Magformers pieces!
- The possibilities are endless and are only limited by your child’s imagination!
- Throughout this website, you will find a number of examples of the literally infinite creations, formations, constructions, inventions, patterns, shapes, concepts, models, projects, designs and objects that can be made using Magformers!
8. Sensory Development: Magformers will improve fine motor skills through touching and combining pieces by hand.
- Magformers stimulates the brain’s development of these skills through active hand movement and develops your child’s senses through a variety of visually stimulating colours and shapes!
Who else might benefit from playing with Magformers?
Magformers sets were originally created for children’s brain development.
We later discovered that Magformers are also a great therapy resource, because of the size of the pieces, how easy they are to put together / take apart, how well they “click” together, and because of their vibrant and attractive colours.
They are now more widely used in paediatric occupational therapy for children who suffer from certain conditions, including Autism, ADHD, developmental delay and sensory processing disorders. For more information, please read what Sarah Hickey, paediatric OT (Kids First OT) has to say here.
We have been informed that Magformers pieces are also used to help children who have suffered some form of trauma.
Similarly, we recently discovered that Magformers help older patients in aged care, including in patients with dementia or Alzheimer’s disease, as it helps to stimulate their thinking process and encourage them to use and practice their fine motor skills by putting the colourful pieces together.